Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Addicted (fiction)

I have an addiction.
It’s a bad one.
I need help, but
I can’t tell anyone.

It’s something that’s keeping me
enslaved to it,
Yet I can’t seem to
break free from it.

The person who’s enslaving me, is the master of my fate.
And who is this master?
No one
but I.

Where do I go from here?
I feel hopeless.
I feel lost.

I see the rosy hue
It sits confidently on my spectacles.
I dare not wipe it
For fear that I may see the dangerous place I’ve gotten myself into.

Freedom, release, the lightness from it all!
How I long for it.

Bird, oh bird in the sky, why do you fly so high?
We mortals below look at you with envy
We ask to be like you.

Have I come here of my own doing
Only to die in these shoes?
Or am I meant to break free from this all
And run away into the night so you can’t enslave me again

Addiction, I speak to thee
Leave me alone. It is enough!
You have taken away my life’s breaths
And wasted them on mere nothings

Here I will not lie to die in my cage.
The bird is not you tonight, it is I.
Singing this sad, lonely song
As I look beyond the bars that crush my tender bones
And pluck at my feathers – one, by one

Until I die, alone, enslaved and lost
Inseparable from my addiction.

© Justchillin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're most welcome to comment and share your thoughts any way you want to. Just be civil and congenial and contribute as best you can. Thank you!