Thursday, June 25, 2009

There will never be another you, MJ

I can't even begin to describe the sense of sadness that engulfs my heart as I write this post. Michael was more than an icon to me when I was growing up. He was my companion through lonely nights as a kid, and his music videos always make me smile. The creativity of the pharoh scene in "Remember the Time", the innumerable celebrities looking for the king of pop in "Liberian Girl", the everchanging faces in "Black or White", the garage fight routines in his earlier 80s music videos. Who can forget them?

Whether or not he touched the kids he was accused of molesting, noone can take away his unique style and presence in the music scene which was unparallelled. Nobody will be able to do what he did. From his moonwalk to the phenomenal success of "Thriller" to his crotch grabbing "oo-oo"s, he was inimitable and the sweetness of his success was the softness of his heart.

Michael was known for his humanitarian touch. His Quincy-Jones/Lionel Ritchie collaboration for US for Africa birthed the advent of "We are the World" and I can't help tearing as I watch him come in on the chorus in his shining black shoes and white socks, hand in pocket, standing tall.

He had a sense of fear and his stress levels were always at their optimum. There was a time he adorned a face mask for fear of contamination of germs. A publicist states that a human being with that amount of stress could not have gone on living. He was also a sensitive, shy human being who broke down as he sang the 70s Jackson 5 classic "She's Out of My Life" which remains among the top 10 emotional songs to have ever been sung. Rumoured to have been written around the affair he is said to have had with Diana Ross who was many years his senior, his anger at her leaving him is said to have been expressed through the penning of "Dirty Diana" which he sang several years later. Yet there are some who say that theirs was a platonic relationship, the name "Diana" being merely a co-incidence.

Michael is said to have been a victim of his father (Joe Jackson)'s numerous affairs. He was an emotionally tortured child who witnessed the heartache and pain that his mother went through as a result of his dad's infidelity. Unlike his siblings Jermaine, Marlon, Tittie, Freddie, Latoya and Janet, Michael was an introvert who keep his feelings to himself and rarely made a public outcry. He was withdrawn yet confident. The moment he took the stage as the youngest member of the ensemble "The Jackson 5", he would move and dance with the confidence of a veteran and he amazed many during his "Dick Clarke" days.

I can go on and on and on about Michael but I will stop now. Let me end by saying that I will never cease to remember him. The pits of my stomache still ache from hearing his loss.

There will never be another you. You came into this world to make a mark. The world will not forget you.

RIP Michael Jackson : (

-justchillinslow.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. im totally agree with you man, he is my hero

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual U R sad U Passionately Patient? When will your sad life return 2 normalcy? Sad again :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi anonymous, there seems to be a mistake which I've failed to address for lack of time~ Please refer to the comments on "the quirky ad industry" :) you seem to be constantly addressing me in the same manner!

    But yes, I AM indeed sad :( his death was unexpected and I really grew up loving his music.

    ReplyDelete

You're most welcome to comment and share your thoughts any way you want to. Just be civil and congenial and contribute as best you can. Thank you!