Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why do we leave "anonymous" comments?

Lately I have been receiving some worthless comments that have meant nothing to me at first, but now seem to be getting under my skin. I feel that there are tramps and trolls lurking around my blog and that doesn't make me feel too comfortable!

Sifting through my list of "comments", I re-read some pretty bad ones that shocked and saddened me, considering that we're all here and here for a reason - to blog and share our thoughts in a friendly, clean atmosphere. The comments seem to have been penned by a slightly deviated mind with the intention of causing just a little bit of trouble (if possible) in my waters.

Why do we hurt eachother under the guise of "anoymous"? What can be accomplished by leaving comments that make absolutely no sense sans the repect that ought to be shown towards a fellow blogger or reader?

I was just thinking. It has everything to do with background and upbringing and where we come from, doesn't it? The very intent to abuse someone else anonymously, shows a degree of fear of doing so in the open by revealing identity, thereby proving that the anoymous writer has great concern to not be found out which in turn means that he/she actually fears some sort of repurcussion for whatever reason it may be. Perhaps the anonymous writer is someone known to the blogger who temporarily slips into Jeckel-like shoes whilst playing Hyde at other times.

The most disconcerting fact to me personally, is the fact that Kottu is not the place I knew it to be. Those of us who have grown up in Kottu would remember the days when there was hardly a malicious comment left. Even diagreements were argued reasonably. But times change and newer people come into the fray. I guess that's what happens when you have the option to leave thoughts unsourced. I guess that's the dark side in human nature isn't it? To hurt another person whilst masqurading in the dark unidentified? "Anonymous" just gets away with it, and there's nothing we can do about it.

I don't intend to do ellborate further so I'll wind up this post here.

I'd like to pose a challenge to the trolls - even the "anoymous" ones. Please do reveal your identity (either a first name or your blogging name)and speak in a manner that would make some sort of sense to the reader. I urge you to reveal your identity as this would make you feel some sory of responsibility for what you utter. It's an act of cowardice that causes you to hide behind your "anonymous" peudonym. At the end of the day, it's your conscience that should get pricked, for whatever you chose to leave by way of a comment, on a fellow blogger's posts. May that conscience be re-awakened in you, because none of us can get by in life hurting others along the way, with careless words and hurtful thoughts.

As the late great Michael Jackson sang, "I'm asking" you to change your ways.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Chandrika! Long ttime no see! We need to meet up real soon ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James.. eer I'm not "Chandrika"..! Check my pictures out and you'd see who I am : )
    Definitely not a Chandrika!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are some people who'll continue to make complete fools of themselves even if they revealed their identity, Chillin'... so this mask of anonymity truly unleashes the animal within them...

    Don't worry too much about them, as the old saying goes: "let the dogs bark, we'll go our way" :)

    also: maybe it's time to get rid of the anonymous comments feature for a while... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on Chands! I know its you! Trying to pretend you don't remember all the 'fun' times we used to have behind your ex's back? I'm back in Colombo, so let's hook up hun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeer.. James? : )
    You're on the wrong blog! I've never done anything behind an ex's back so I definitely know you've got the wrong person here.

    And even though you pose as "James", you're actually an "anonymous" :( so I rest my case :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Chavie. For instance the comment above (James) was left by someone who commented previously with the url of a wordpress.com blog. The same I.Ps. But I've chosen not to draw attention to that fact (besides this one mention)...

    I just wonder why people bother doing what they do...

    But as you rightly said, dogs bark but the caravan moves on right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm just went through "Breaking my bondage with Sex" there are some messy comments there.

    You don't need to go through this, just don't allow anonymous comments and moderate all comments for the time been, believe me when anonymous comments do not show up in the blog they will give up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What the hell is going on here?
    Disable your anonymous log keys. Its that simple. Disable them. Not worth the trouble end of the day.
    You know the kind of harassments i went through linking me to passionately patient, chilli chocolate, psycho weed killer, padashow and of late Rehani and Girigoris based on NO real facts, but only imaginations when some blogs resemble mine. WTF? I couldn't have maintained that many blogs even if i wanted to. Besides my original blog was used by me for all the controversy i was involved in so there was no need for other blogs. This world is weird. I wouldn't be surprised if they said all blogs on kottu are run by NB. That would be quite interesting.
    Anyway, what i wanted to say was you can't change the world. You just can't. This world is full of idiots where you and i are but two. People have their own imagination and they are entitled to so. I used to get upset then, but i have learnt to put up with this nonsense when i am linked to many blogs, some i have not even seen or read in my life time. Such is the world just chills. Don't be disheartened by this anonymous idiots. It shows their caliber, where they come from and their backgrounds. I don't think they are worth your attention. Just disable the keys and blog on your own. Things should be OK.

    Who is Chandrika ?

    Anyway whoever the hell you are, happy blogging :P

    Take care.

    NB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kusal..
    I removed the "anonymous" feature for the time being.

    N.B thanks a lot for the kind words. I couldn't help smiling when you said that you wouldn't be surprised if all the blogs on Kottu were run by you! :P

    "It shows their caliber, where they come from and their backgrounds" - so true. I just hope they become more decent with time. But for the time being, as Chavie said, dogs (who come in from nowhere!!) bark but the caravan moves on :)

    ReplyDelete

You're most welcome to comment and share your thoughts any way you want to. Just be civil and congenial and contribute as best you can. Thank you!