Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How and Why?

Questions, questions and more questions. You must wonder what all this is about.

Well it's about the startling discovery - the sad discovery, that a friend I admire humongously - (a pure, sweet, angelic being of a woman), turns out to have a personality disorder that has just been classified as "compulsive liar's disorder".

How could this be? She was better than all of us put together. Add us up and divide us by our number and you'd still find double that amount of bad to be missing from her personality. She was a genuine good-hearted woman who never hurt a fly in her way. She was an absolute virgin when it came to men and her moral standards were awe-inspiring. She was the first to help a friend, the kindest out of all of us. How could this happen to her?

I still can't believe that she has turned out to be a person who can look me straight in the eye and spin a lie that streches across my face without batting as much as an eye lid. She has no conscience when it comes to fibbing her way through life.

But this is not the girl she once used to be. I still can't reconcile the two personalities. I long for the old her - the her that used to be able to advise, guide and teach us by example. The her that used to cringe at the thought of telling a half-truth and get hit affectionately, for being so naively good!

What happened to her? How could this angel become a she-devil? Is there any help out there for her? Is she even aware of her psychological make-up?

As her friend all I can do is sit her down and tell her that she needs to pick herself up and quit lying. But is it as easy as that? Compulsive lying is a serious thing which I believe requires professional help.

I'm going to do my best to get her that help.

I just feel so confused. I never expected her to end up this way. And given below are series of random thoughts that started going through my head.

How do you love a person the same way that you did before you found out that he was stricken with a disease that makes him half the man he used to be?

What is it that makes a good person turn bad?

It's kind of like the good milk turning sour when churned isn't it?

What makes the green budding flower fade and fall out of it's place on the branch?

What makes the fresh, smooth skin of a baby end up shrivelled up in wrinkles?

What makes the energy in a battery last long only to run down and die out?

What makes the innocent child grow up to be a guilty villian?

What makes the chalk write against the blackboard till it decreases in size?

Do you believe that there is good in the worst human being?

Can the sinner be redeemed?

How does the compulsive liar start speaking the truth?

How do you teach the thief not to rob?

What makes us turn a 180 degrees, to become whatever it was that we were when we first started?

I wonder if it's too late for my friend. She has already abused my trust. Even if she got better, would she regain all that she is steadily losing while we speak? I guess it's all in my hands and with regards to her, back to that age-old adage "self forgiveness".

But somewhere in all of this, I believe it's God she needs in her life. She needs a miracle to happen to her now, because she's barely unrecognizable to us all.

I can only hope she gets the help she requires. It really hurts when a friend goes through trying times like these. It's the first time I've encountered a compulsive liar! But I have to remember that she was someone else before all this happened to her.

Patience and compassion is what is required of all of us and I'm willing to extend that to the fullest. I just want her to be the old her.

I miss her.

How and why did this happen to her?

5 comments:

  1. This is the first time I heard of this disorder :S
    Are you sure your friend has it, really strange illness indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "compulsive lying" and "pathalogical lying" is what she has been diagnosed with.
    I just googled it myself... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bit of a lying phase going on some years back... I lied to anybody and everybody: friends, parents... the whole lot... it was linked to a bit of depression and stuff... but I found as soon as I got out my little self pitying phase and found something to love about life, I got over the lying too...

    I know it must be hard for you chillin, but you have to be strong... you have to be the rock that she can build her recovery on... you've got to be the one that she learns the value of truth from... it's going to be a rocky road, she's going to be disingenuous to you... but only you can make her atleast give it a shot... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chavie I don't know how to thank you enough for your comment.. her lying phase much like yours I realize, is linked to other factors that would sort them out in a matter of time if only I would (and others would) support her right now.

    I'm going to be strong for her and show her that no one judges or condemns her but that we are all here to love her and help her come out of this thing.

    Thanks for sharing, Chavie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're certainly welcome! good luck with her, chillin... :)

    ReplyDelete

You're most welcome to comment and share your thoughts any way you want to. Just be civil and congenial and contribute as best you can. Thank you!