Saturday, May 16, 2009

CHAPTER 13 (Robert A Baron)

WHY IT’S MY FAVOURITE CHAPTER

The Chapter I liked best, is the Chapter “Health, Stress and Coping”. There were many other chapters that were interesting and beneficial to my personal life but this chapter in particular, interested me, enriched me and left me with a better understanding of life and stress which is so much a part of day to day living and this is one of the primary reasons for the 13th Chapter being my favourite from among 15 others in this book

I particularly liked the manner in which this Chapter explained Stress and the many causes for Stress, ranging from the major causes, to the minor. The manner in which the chapter had a portion in which it described reasons for doctors not explaining illness and the practical manner in which it directed me to surfing the net for finer knowledge, indeed little things like that were useful and so real in the modern-day world that I am in when it comes to researching on day to day concerns, coupled with the manner in which it discussed the effects of ones thoughts and actions on one’s health, further enhanced the favourite aspects to this chapter.

I also appreciated the less preachy, more explanatory overview on smoking, on healthy eating, alcohol, even illness like AIDS and paragraphs that expounded the manner in which emotions interact with our physical health which again, were interesting and applicable to life.

It’s also my favourite chapter because reading it made me realize a few new things, like the fact that a tendency towards alcoholism is strongly genetic and that there is a personality type (Type D) that keeps emotions to themselves during stressful times. Moroever the manner in which Optimists and Pessimists were described interested me immensely.

One of the finer sections for me, also proved to be the last section of this particular chapter which consisted of practical and very real means by which to promote personal wellness in a world filled with stress. The ways in which this chapter explained that it is possible to develop a healthy lifestyle through prevention that included decreasing risks of illness and secondly, detecting illness early enough to prepare, to cope and be better equipped to face each aspect that would otherwise prove challenging and increase stress levels if faced with without notice, were extremely insightful too.

My favourite sections of this book as a whole, were always the last section – “making psychology part of your life” which always put down to practical use, all the theoretical knowledge that was detailed in the chapter. This particular chapter on Stress, ended with a section that was educative and informative about managing stress with some useful tactics – seven simple ways in which to cope and make the best of one’s day.

I gained so much from this chapter that I could never really see it as a Chapter for academic Study. This was another reason for my liking this Chapter best. For instead of being a theoretically heavy chapter, it was truly a very human, life-applicable one.

© Slow Chills

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're most welcome to comment and share your thoughts any way you want to. Just be civil and congenial and contribute as best you can. Thank you!