Sunday, May 31, 2009

Gifted

Dog tired after a superb treck down south, I sat down at my PC and remembered the words of my sister – the sweet, elder sister of mine who told me during what was a very poignant moment of my dealings with her child, that I have a gift. Something that makes me come down to the level of a child no matter what his age, no matter what his background. Those words felt like a welcome splash of icy chilling water on a hot and humid day. We all love compliments but when it comes from your own kith and kin, it’s just especially different isn’t it?

I remembered the moment when my cousin inter-twined her fingers with mine as she walked up and down her garden - something she doesn’t do with anybody else, and I wondered whether my sister was right then in what she said. There was another moment far back in the 90s when a little Australian kid who hates to be with people just wouldn’t leave my side and actually cried when I moved back to Colombo. I still remember the way he sat as close as he could to me in the backseat of his dad’s car and held my hand as we went on those dare-devil motorbike rides together!

And then there is the misunderstood little girl I taught a couple of years back, who had been written off by almost all of her teachers. She was stubborn, arrogant and haughty and no one could crack the hard shell that encompassed her heart. No one but me. She pretty much melted. Melted to the extent of bringing me a rose one day and telling me that she loves me more than she does her own mother.

I know this post may sound too full of self-glorification! I assure you that wasn’t my intention. I'm just typing on my keyboard while I'm thinking out loud...

I feel I may be having a gift then, that’s going to give me a job in addition to the one I have already. My current job is fulfilling and I’m doing so well here! If I were to use my so called gifts, I would have to plunge into something that’s going to take a lot of time and energy off the one that I’m doing now. Not that I’ll give up my present job but I’m seriously considering working two jobs in the soon-to-come future.

On a closing note, it’s my sister who made me feel good about myself by suggesting that I’m gifted and that meant much to me, almost to the point of re-directing my life. I’d like to suggest in return, that you (whoever you maybe who’s reading this right now!!) have a gift too. Something that makes you special. Something that is unique to you. May you find it, if you haven’t already... even if you are in a mundane job that doesn’t seem cut out for you, may you find one that enables you to give of yourself to others. Your unique, one-in-a-million self.

And if by chance you feel that you aren't gifted? I assure you you are. We all are, one way or another. Never look a gift horse in the mouth they say... :)

Have a great June month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're most welcome to comment and share your thoughts any way you want to. Just be civil and congenial and contribute as best you can. Thank you!